Read Paul's bio and previous columns
October 28, 2008
Fifty Reasons to Vote
Against Barack Obama: 25-1
There are hundreds of simple, straightforward reasons for Americans to
vote against Barack Obama on November 4. Editorial necessity, however,
limits the publication of a comprehensive list, and what I offer instead
is a list of 50 plain reasons to oppose Obama. Below are reasons 25-1 (Reasons
50-26 were released yesterday). They are presented in no particular
order, as ranking them would for several reasons prove to be an
25. Obama has for years said that he wants to spread the wealth around,
and continues to stand by this ideology to this day.
24. Obama lied when he promised to use public financing, which has
allowed him to raise a record-breaking amount of campaign funds thanks
to major bundlers, which in turn he has used to spend the most money on
negative campaign ads in history.
23. Obama opposed domestic oil drilling until polls forced him to
begrudgingly “change” his position on it.
22. Obama opposes necessary free trade agreements, such as the crucial
Colombia free trade agreement, and has even threatened existing ones,
such as NAFTA, despite the tremendous economic and security benefit free
trade has brought and can bring to America and the world.
21. Obama asked Georgia to show restraint when Russia invaded it.
20. Obama believes that it would benefit America to sit down with
intractable terrorist leaders without preconditions.
19. Obama has repeatedly injected his race into the campaign in an attempt
to pin it on his opponent, and has actively stoked racial tensions in
the Hispanic community by associating John McCain with invented
18. Obama is the desired commander-in-chief by only 23 percent of the
troops, according to a Military Times poll.
17. Obama is verifiably the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate,
according to the National Journal.
16. Obama repeatedly refused John McCain’s offer to hold 10 town hall
debates, resorting instead to rehearsed speeches.
15. Obama believes that Iran is a “tiny” country that does not “pose a
serious threat to us.”
14. Obama’s foreign policy coach, Joe Biden, has advocated for the
partition of Iraq, an inane proposition strongly opposed by all Iraqi
sides and top foreign policy experts.
13. Obama has expressed support for both teams in the World Series, just
as he has taken both sides on flag pins, taxes, gun bans, FISA, Iraq,
drilling, public financing, etc.
12. Obama had no time to develop any foreign policy experience during
the two years he spent in the Senate before he began actively
campaigning for the presidency.
11. Obama has neither executive nor military experience.
10. Obama has not one single significant accomplishment in his political
life by any reasonable measure.
Obama’s leftist ideology will not rub smoothly against the principles of
the conservative leaders of Canada, France, Germany, Mexico, and other
top conservative democratic allies, which might soon include the United
Obama’s tutor, Joe Biden, has recently expressed his fear that Obama
will be tested in the first six months of his presidency with a forced
crisis, and that Obama will deal with it in a weak manner.
Obama has promised that the first thing he would do if elected is sign
the Freedom of Choice Act, which would abolish nationwide bans on
partial-birth abortion and parental-notification laws, and force
taxpayers to fund abortions.
Obama and his wife launched their careers in corporate America, and
insist that American corporations continue to employ American workers,
yet have at the same time urged Americans: “Don’t go into corporate
Obama and his followers vociferously criticized former McCain adviser
Sen. Phil Gramm for saying “we have become sort of a nation of whiners,”
even though Michelle Obama has said that we are a country of “cynics,”
“sloths,” “complacents” and a country that is divided and “just
Obama explained that he only gave less than one percent of his income to
charity when he was making $240,000 because he and Michelle were young
parents still paying off student loans, but then turned around and
asserted that “once people are making over $200,000 to $250,000 they can
afford to pay a little more in payroll tax.”
Obama released an ad making fun of John McCain for not being able to
send an e-mail, which McCain cannot do because his North Vietnamese
captors shattered his fingers and both his arms.
Obama voted with congressional Democrats 96 percent of the time.
Obama opposed the surge that is winning us the Iraq War, saying it would
actually make things worse, making the most important foreign policy
judgment in his political life astonishingly off the mark.
© 2008 North Star
Writers Group. May not be republished without permission.
Click here to talk to our writers and
editors about this column and others in our discussion forum.
To e-mail feedback
about this column,
click here. If you enjoy this writer's
work, please contact your local newspapers editors and ask them to carry
This is Column # PI138.
permission to publish here.